Holy Trinity Church - Stratford
The Collegiate Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon, is often known simply as 'Shakespeare's Church', due to its fame as the place of baptism and burial of William Shakespeare. The present church, which dates from 1210, is Stratford's oldest building and is built on the site of a Saxon monastery.
Croft were awarded the two successive phases of work from 2006 through to late 2007 with Phase 1 covering works to the Spire and Phase 2 works to the tower and parapets. The two phases had a contract value of £320K funded by The Friends of Shakespeare's Church, English Heritage and the Stratford upon Avon Town Trust.
The works undertaken included:-
- Stone repair works to the spire, tower parapets, tower pinnacles.
- Stone replacement to all elevations of tower
- Carved stone replacement grotesque
- Relining lead gutter to tower roof.
- Overhaul of tower rainwater goods.
- Brickwork repairs to base of spire internally.
- Addition of balustrade to the existing access platforms within belfry.
- Addition of handrails to existing ladders within belfry.
- Addition of external ladder to improve access from spire door onto tower roof.
- Installation of cross tree and restraints
- Renewal of lower tower lead flashings and cill coverings.
- Sacrificial lime based shelter coating to infill cracks in the Lias stone and consolidation of surfaces of Hornton stone in the traceries and quoins.